President Hakainde Hichilema commissioned the refurbished radiotherapy and imaging section of the Cancer Diseases Hospital today, restoring a facility that had been closed since 2020.
Ending a Costly Five-Year Wait
President Hakainde Hichilema announced the commissioning of the refurbished radiotherapy and imaging section at the Cancer Diseases Hospital, a facility that had remained closed for five years. In a statement, the President said the closure came at significant cost, with government spending millions to send 600 patients abroad for treatment while thousands more waited for care at home.
That wait is now over. The refurbished unit will be able to treat up to 60 patients a day domestically, with Hichilema saying resources previously spent on airfares and foreign hospital bills will instead go toward Zambian doctors, nurses and patients.
First Patient Treated
The first patient to receive treatment at the reopened facility was Madam Mauleya Zimba, 62, who is living with cervical cancer. Hichilema described her treatment as carrying symbolic weight beyond the medical procedure itself, saying she represents the experience of thousands of Zambians who have waited for access to care.
Regional Ambitions
The President framed the milestone within a broader vision for Zambia’s healthcare sector, stating that a healthy nation underpins a wealthy one. He said government’s ambition is to position Zambia as a regional centre of excellence in cancer care, eventually attracting patients from abroad rather than sending Zambians overseas for treatment. According to the statement, the facility is now one of only three of its kind on the African continent, alongside similar centres in South Africa and Egypt.
Sources: Statement by President Hakainde Hichilema, President of the Republic of Zambia, August 1, 2026