Zambia’s Ministry of Home Affairs and Internal Security says a joint intelligence-led operation has led to the arrest of three former senior government officials and a Kenyan national accused of providing technical services aimed at disrupting the country’s electoral system.
An Intelligence-Led Operation
Permanent Secretary for Home Affairs and Internal Security Dickson Matembo said the operation, carried out by a Joint Investigations Team comprising defence and security agencies, resulted in the arrest of three former senior government officials, who remain in lawful custody. A 56-year-old Kenyan national, identified as Michael Njuka, was separately arrested and is accused of being contracted to carry out cybercrime activities targeting the state and compromising Zambia’s electoral infrastructure.
Matembo said three other individuals, Tonse Alliance-linked figures Japhen Mwakalombe, Mwila Kakana and Sensho Banda, were found in possession of more than K7.3 million in cash, whose source and intended purpose have not been established, and have been invited by the state to assist with investigations. He said the trio have so far indicated through their lawyers that they would only be available under certain conditions.
A Related Military Training Investigation
In a related development, Matembo disclosed that security agencies had, over several months, gathered intelligence on Zambian nationals allegedly undergoing military-related training abroad. He said three individuals, identified as driver Dickson Tembo, unemployed teacher Victor Muzyamba and businessman Gideon Ezra Tolopa, were arrested at Kenneth Kaunda International Airport on August 1 upon returning from abroad, with sensitive military intelligence information found on seized electronic devices. Businessman Valden Findlay was also arrested and charged in connection with allegedly facilitating the activities under investigation.
Government Denies Abduction Claims
The arrests had earlier fuelled opposition and family claims that individuals, including former Ambassador Martha Lungu and journalist Hannah Katontoka, had been abducted. Matembo rejected this, saying no abductions occurred and that all state actions were lawful, noting that both individuals named had since been released following compliance checks. Ministry of Information and Media Permanent Secretary Thabo Kawana said government remains on high alert and will not tolerate any activity intended to disrupt the peace surrounding the election, adding that authorities would deal firmly with anyone found attempting to compromise national security or interfere with electoral systems.
Sources: News Diggers, Mwebantu, Lusaka Times, Reuters (via Daily Nation), EWN, The Standard